16.018 Urgent Business Proposals

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 01:39:12 EDT

       [1] From: Andrew Brook <abrook@ccs.carleton.ca> (18)
             Subject: Re: 16.014 Urgent Business Proposals (419)

       [2] From: "Al Magary" <al@magary.com> (11)

             Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 06:21:17 +0100
             From: Andrew Brook <abrook@ccs.carleton.ca>

    Willard and others with an interest in Canada:

    It turns out that one of the biggest recent Nigerian scam operations was
    actually run out of Toronto! Canadian police arrested I think four
    people there who were sending millions of emails a month representing
    themselves as in Nigeria with millions of dollars of clandestine booty
    to get out of the country. Does it count that the scammers at least
    *were* Nigerian? Apparently they were: Nigerians legally living in
    Canada as immigrants.

    Andrew Brook, Professor of Philosophy Director, Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies President, Canadian Philosophical Association 2217 Dunton Tower, Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6 Phone: 613 520-3597 Fax: 613 520-3985 Email: abrook@ccs.carleton.ca Web: www.carleton.ca/~abrook

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 06:21:40 +0100 From: "Al Magary" <al@magary.com> Subject: Re: 16.014 Urgent Business Proposals (419)

    Bill Schippers commented: > Thank you Willard, for reminding me and telling others that I'm still flesh and > blood. Sometimes I wonder....

    One of my PCs got the Badtrans virus yesterday and started sending (or trying to send) random emails to my address book with, of course, attachments containing the virus. I think I stopped it but Windows deposited a copy of the purported message from "Al Magary" in my inbox anyway, making me wonder if a doppelganger lurked in cyberspace. It's as offputting as seeing one's name within quotation marks.

    "Al Magary" (I think)