14.0560 e-journals

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 12/14/00

       [1]   From:    "Robert J. O'Hara" <rjohara@uncg.edu>               (11)
             Subject: Re: intelligent e-journals?
       [2]   From:    Gerry McKiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>              (87)
             Subject: EJI:A Registry of Innovative E-Journal Features and
             Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:42:30 +0000
             From: "Robert J. O'Hara" <rjohara@uncg.edu>
      >     I am interested in learning  of *any* and *all* e-journals  [or
      > e-magazines or e-newsletters or e-newspapers] that monitor the interaction
      > of a reader with the publication and based on such implicit behavior(s)
      > customizes the publication to match these 'expressed' interests so that the
      > reader is provided with (more) content that is similar / related
    Bob O'Hara
    Dr. Robert J. O'Hara (rjohara@post.harvard.edu - http://rjohara.net)
    Biology Department, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, NC 27402 USA
    Residential Colleges and Higher Education Reform: http://collegiateway.org
             Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:42:56 +0000
             From: Gerry McKiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>
         _EJI: A Registry of Innovative E-Journal Features and Functionalities_
        I am pleased to announce the establishment of a new registry entitled
    _EJI_ [pronounced E.J.I. _or_ 'edgy"}. _EJI_ is a registry of "Innovative
    E-Journal Features and Functionalities" available at
                  [   http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI.htm ]
         Presently the following categories have been established for EJI:
         *  Accelerated Publication
         * Citation Management
         * Collective E-Journals
         * Indexing
         * Issue-In-Progress
         * Manuscript Submission and Tracking Systems
         * Open Peer Review
         * Overlay E-Journals
         * Personalized E-Journals
         * Reactive E-Journals
         * Virtual E-Journals
         * Virtual Filing Cabinets
          I have chosen not to define each category at this time and hope that
    MyWebColleague  will understand the nature of each category by visiting the
    linked entries.
         I am greatly interested in learning about *other* e-journals that have
    these features and functionalities.
         I am also interested in learning about other 'innovative' or
    'cutting-edge' e-journal features and functionalities as well as the
    e-journals that exhibit these.
    I have identified several additional features and functionalities and hope
    that MYWebColleagues are aware of such progressive e-journals. These are:
            * Annotative E-Journals
                  E-Journals that permit a reader to annotate the text of
                  an e-article with personal comments [This category would also
                  e-journals that allow a reader to highlight within an e-article
                  or to  make verbal annotations that would be appended to the
                  text. It could also include e-journals that include an audio
                  annotation by the author(s) to supplement an e-article's text]
             * Collaborative E-Journals
                   E-Journal that include a features that allows a reader
                   to retrieve the articles that were read by other readers
                   who also read the article currently being read by
                   a reader [The Amazon feature " Those who bought Book A
                   also bought Book B, C and D]
             * Raw and Supplemental Data    / Computer Code
                   This would include e-journals that allow an author
                   to include direct / access to raw or supplemental
                   data that is analyzed in the e-article; or software
                   code for analyzing the data
              * Interactive Formulae, Graphs and/or Models
                    This would include e-journals that allow readers to
                    interactive with formulas with the text of an article
                    to consider other possibilities with other data
                    or datasets
               * Relatedness
                  This a function found in Science Citation Index CD-ROM
                  that allows for the identification of 'related' papers based
                  upon the degree of shared references. This made be identified as
                  a 'related' function in the e-journal or a 'find similar'
               * Database Access
                 This would include e-journals that provide either
                 explicit or implicit access to database records either as
                 a separate database (e.g., Medline) or as a link to database
                 records (e.g., Science Direct)
                * Advanced Display
                  This would include e-journals that provide the ability to
                  display the results of a search in an alternative format, for
                  using visualization technologies  such as SPIRE  and other
                  visualization technologies developed at the Pacific Northwest
                  Laboratory [ http://multimedia.pnl.gov:2080/infoviz/index.html],
                  or those developed out of Xerox PARC [http://www.inxight.com/ ]
                  or Kohomen Self-Organzing Semantic  Maps (SOMs)
                   [  e.g., http://websom.hut.fi/websom/ ]
              * E-Journal Page Customization
                 E-Journals that allow a reader to customize an e-journal
                based upon personal display or organizational  preferences
                               [QUITE A LIST, Huh? [:-)]
          As Always, Any and All Contributions, Suggestions, Candidates,
    Critiques, Questions, Comments, Recounts, Cosmic Insights. etc. Are Most
    Gerry McKiernan
    Edgy Librarian
    Iowa State University
    Ames IA 50011
                 "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                                                      Alan Kay