6.0515 CFP: Victorians Institute Meeting (1/47)
Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 16 Feb 1993 12:37:37 EST
Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0515. Tuesday, 16 Feb 1993.
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 93 12:00:00 EST
From: David E. Latane <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Victorians Institute Meeting
First Notice and Call for Papers -- Victorians Institute Meeting 1993
The 1993 Meeting of the Victorians Institute will be held at the
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, October 15-16.
THEME: "Scientific Fantasy and Fantastic Science."
Many nineteenth-century scientific formulations seemed as "fantastic" as
the genres (detective, mystery, supernatural) which owed part of their
continuing evolution to them. In what ways were important scientific
discoveries of the nineteenth century represented, redacted, or
distorted in the literature of the day? What came of the synthesis of
nineteenth-century science and literature? Broad topics of investigation
- Historical Views of Science and Technology
- Theoretical Formulation and the Legislation of Identity (Sexual,
- Scientific, Social, and Literary metaphors
- Science as Myth
-Scientific Facts, Literary Fictions
- Literary Form, Textual Strategy, and the Creation of Knowledge
- Structure, Language and Rhetoric of Scientific Discourse
- Modern and Postmodern Heirs of the Nineteenth-Century Fantastic
- Postmodernist Approaches to Nineteenth-Century Science and Literature.
For further information contact:
Department of English, CB #3520
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3520
President, Victorians Institute
Dept. of English
Richmond, VA 23284-2005